Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Serena Williams Hospitalized For Blood Clot and Hematoma!

Serena Williams at the Vanity Fair post-Oscars
party on Sunday February 27, 2011
Oh my goodness! Serena Williams was rushed to a hospital in Los Angeles this week when it was discovered that she had a blood clot in her lung with a spokesperson releasing a statement:
"Serena did indeed suffer from a pulmonary embolism last week, and the hematoma was another unexpected scare. Thankfully everything was caught in time. With continued doctor visits to monitor her situation, she is recuperating at home under strict medical supervision."

"Says Serena, 'Thank you everyone for all of your prayers, concerns, and support. This has been extremely hard, scary, and disappointing. I am doing better, I'm at home now and working with my doctors to keep everything under control. I know I will be ok, but am praying and hoping this will all be behind me soon. While I can't make any promises now on my return, I hope to be back by early summer. That said, my main goal is to make sure I get there safely.' "
The injury does not appear to life-threatening, but will probably keep her off a tennis court for another 6-12 weeks.
Dr. Mark Adelman, chief of vascular and endovascular surgery at NYU Langone Medical Center, said that Williams' lungs should heal completely. The length of time to heal the original clot, whether it was in her leg or in her arm, could vary depending on its size and other factors. Adelman estimated that for anywhere from six to 12 weeks her doctors would not want her to play tennis at all. After that, Williams might be able to play at a high level, but because the anticoagulants will put her at additional risk of bruises and bleeding, she'll want to avoid getting hit hard during play.

Last week, Williams had told the New York Post that she was aiming her comeback for the French Open in May. From the statement released Wednesday, though, it is clear she is now hoping to be ready for Wimbledon, which opens play June 20.
Get well soon, Serena!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin